- Social Service Organizations
- Homeless Shelters
- Addiction Treatment & Group Homes
- Religious Groups
- Churches or Places of Worship
- Museums, Art Galleries and Institutes
- Historic Societies
- Governments & Municipalities
>> LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR COMMERCIAL & SMALL BUSINESS INSURANCE PROGRAMS
As a nonprofit, social service or religious institution, your exposures are unique to the nature of the work you do. The below categories are the most critical areas of risk that most of our various nonprofit clients needed to address through proper insurance placement, as well as risk management strategies.
Most social service or religious organization offer different forms of counseling, advice, treatment or consultations. In these capacities, traditional General Liability insurance is not adequate and you will need to purchase a Professional Liability insurance policy to protect against these exposures.
SEXUAL & PHYSICAL ABUSE
Unfortunately, this is a very common risk faced by nonprofits who deal with children, elderly or mentally challenged patrons. Other types of liability insurance will often exclude these losses under the “Intentional Acts” exclusion. As a result, you may want to consider working with an agent who is able to secure coverage for this exposure.
PREMISES & ONGOING OPERATIONS
Included in Commercial General Liability insurance policies, this coverage is extremely important for any type of business with that involve a lot of onsite “foot traffic”. If one of your clients or visitors is injured on the premises (i.e. the infamous “slip and fall”), then you’ll want insurance to provide coverage for defense, settlement and judgments from the alleged bodily injury.
PERSONAL & ADVERTISING INJURY
Also included in the Commercial General Liability insurance, this coverage primarily protects you against slander or libel accusations or infringements within your advertising.
If a fire or other disaster shuts down your nonprofit facility, then membership revenue and/or donations may decrease or even disappear. If this is a risk your organization faces, then you may want to consider purchasing Business Interruption insurance within your Commercial Property insurance policy.
In most states, employers are required to abide by state workers compensation laws, which obligates the employer to pay for any medical expenses and lost wages related to work-related injuries or illnesses. Workers Compensation insurance is required to ensure the financial resources are available to meet this obligation.
Implementing good safety and training practices into your organization will help prevent work comp claims and keep your costs low – we have resources and expertise which can be shared with you.
Many nonprofits provide transportation services and buying broad Business Auto insurance with high liability limits is extremely important to protect your organization. These kinds of accidents are very common and robust driver training and risk management is very important.
EMPLOYEE LAWSUITS (EEOC)
Workers who accuse your organization of wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment or other similar possibilities, you may have to spend a lot of money defending your company (or paying out settlements). Employment Practices Liability insurance is a cost-effective way to protect against this exposure.
If your organization retains personally identifiable information (PII), including information on customer/donor/member financial accounts, social security #s, birthdays, driver license #s, etc., and your records are breached by outside parties, then you may face significant liability. Buying a robust Cyber Insurance policy can help protect against these ever-growing and evolving exposures.
- “A Rated” Insurance Carriers
- Property – covers loss to buildings, personal property and loss of income from causes such as fire, lighting, wind, theft, etc.
- General Liability – covers liability arising from personal or advertising injury or bodily injury or property damage occurring on your premises or from your work, products or ongoing operations
- Errors & Omissions Liability – covers liability arising from a professional error or omission arising from work as a realtor, landlord or property manager
- Business Auto – covers physical damage to your owned, rented or non-owned vehicles, as well as liability arising from bodily injury or property damage to others
- Employment Practices Liability – covers liability arising from employment issues like discrimination, harassment, retaliation or wrongful termination
- Directors & Officers Liability – covers liability to director and officers of your company resulting from fiscal mismanagement, breach of duty, etc.
- Fiduciary Liability – covers liability to “fiduciaries” on behalf of beneficiaries of employee benefits, health/welfare plans and retirement plans
- Crime – covers losses resulting from employee dishonesty, funds transfer fraud, robbery or theft and forgery or alteration
- Cyber Liability – covers liability and expenses arising from data breaches
- Workers Compensation – covers your obligations to work-related injuries under workers comp statute, as applies in your state
- Tenant Legal Liability – covers you for damage caused by tenant negligence to your property
- Coverage Enhancement Options (theses are often excluded from coverage unless added by endorsement):
- Ordinance or Law – covers your property for increased costs of construction to comply with updated building codes after a covered loss
- Equipment Breakdown – covers equipment like generators, hvac systems, phone systems, computers, machinery and boilers from mechanical breakdown, explosion or electrical arcing
- Flood – covers your property from flood damage
- Earthquake – covers your property from earth movements
- Punitive Damages – covers loss resulting from judgments which impose multiplication of the general damages as a punishment to the defendant (note: punitive damages insurability by state)
- Mental Anguish – ensures coverage for bodily injury applies to mental anguish, which in some jurisdictions has been classified as such, but in others it’s not so clear
- Wage & Hour – coverage for employment practices liability resulting from disputes over salary vs hourly workers (i.e. exempt vs non-exempt employees)
Shields Insurance Agency is an Independent Insurance Agency based out of Birmingham, AL and we are licensed to write property & casualty insurance in AL, FL, GA, MS and LA. This includes commercial lines and personal lines insurance.
Representing several top-rated insurers, we are capable of writing commercial insurance policies for an array of business types with very competitive pricing and broad coverage terms.
Some of our primary specialties – industries for which we are most competitive – include:
Why Choose Us?
Shields Insurance Agency is an Independent Insurance Agency based out of Birmingham, AL and we are licensed to write property & casualty insurance in AL, FL, GA, MS and LA.
Representing several top-rated insurers, we are capable of writing commercial insurance policies for an array of business types with very competitive pricing and broad coverage terms. Our expertise in guiding non-profits and churchs towards better insurance coverage makes us the right fit for you.
Lets Reduce Your Rates and Improve Coverage
Most people don’t understand their unique risks or their insurance and are therefore buying the wrong coverage and paying too much. If you work with our insurance agency, we will implement our simple 3-step process to identify your key exposures, improve insurance coverage and reduce rates.