As a healthcare practitioner, your exposures are unique to the nature of the work you do. The below categories are the most critical areas of risk that most of our healthcare clients needed to address through proper insurance placement, as well as risk management strategies.
Of course, your most critical exposure as a healthcare provider is accusations of malpractice. Sound training and risk management is one of the most important things you can do to protect against this exposure. Buying a really good insurance policy is also necessary. Your insurer should not only be financially sound, but have a reputation for defending their policyholders and not going for the quick settlement (to avoid creating precedents). Their legal firms should be specialists in healthcare malpractice and have a solid track record for winning. Our agency places insurance policies with several companies like this including Medical Protective.
HIPAA & EMTALA VIOLATIONS
Insurance can be purchased to protect your healthcare practices against HIPAA or other regulatory fines and penalties or other liabilities resulting from alleged violations.
PREMISES & ONGOING OPERATIONS
Included in Commercial General Liability insurance policies, this coverage is extremely important for any type of business with that involve a lot of onsite “foot traffic”. If one of your patients or visitors is injured on the premises (i.e. the infamous “slip and fall”), then you’ll want insurance to provide coverage for defense, settlement and judgments from the alleged bodily injury.
PERSONAL & ADVERTISING INJURY
Also included in the Commercial General Liability insurance, this coverage primarily protects you against slander or libel accusations or infringements within your advertising.
In most states, businesses are required to abide by state workers compensation laws, which obligates the employer to pay for any medical expenses and lost wages related to work-related injuries or illnesses. Workers Compensation insurance is required to ensure the financial resources are available to meet this obligation.
Implementing good safety and training practices into your business will help prevent work comp claims and keep your costs low – we have resources and expertise which can be shared with you.
If you own specialized medical equipment like imaging machines or other expensive machinery in your practice or clinic, then you’ll want to make sure they’re fully protected from damages. Your Commercial Property insurance may protect you against an array of losses like fire, lighting, etc.
You may also want to consider purchasing a Mechanical Breakdown policy (as part of your property policy or separate). Additionally, our agency can offer Equipment Maintenance insurance from C.N.A. to protect all your equipment in a very broad and more cost-effective method than the manufacturer programs.
EMPLOYEE LAWSUITS (EEOC)
Workers who accuse your business of wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment or other similar possibilities, you may have to spend a lot of money defending your company (or paying out settlements). Employment Practices Liability insurance is a cost-effective way to protect against this exposure.
If your company retains personally identifiable information (PII), including information on customer financial accounts, social security #s, birthdays, driver license #s, etc., and your records are breached by outside parties, then you may face significant liability. Buying a robust Cyber Insurance policy can help protect against these ever-growing and evolving exposures.
- “A Rated” Insurance Carriers
- Medical Malpractice – protection against errors or omissions for healthcare practitioners (e.g. physicians, dentists and nurses and staff) – representing the most aggressively priced carriers with the best legal firms defending their doctors and clinics!
- Property – covers loss to buildings, personal property and loss of income from causes such as fire, lighting, wind, theft, etc.
- General Liability – covers liability arising from personal or advertising injury or bodily injury or property damage occurring on your premises or from your work, products or ongoing operations
- Errors & Omissions Liability – covers liability arising from a professional error or omission arising from work as a realtor, landlord or property manager
- Business Auto – covers physical damage to your owned, rented or non-owned vehicles, as well as liability arising from bodily injury or property damage to others
- Employment Practices Liability – covers liability arising from employment issues like discrimination, harassment, retaliation or wrongful termination
- Directors & Officers Liability – covers liability to director and officers of your company resulting from fiscal mismanagement, breach of duty, etc.
- Fiduciary Liability – covers liability to “fiduciaries” on behalf of beneficiaries of employee benefits, health/welfare plans and retirement plans
- Crime – covers losses resulting from employee dishonesty, funds transfer fraud, robbery or theft and forgery or alteration
- Cyber Liability – covers liability and expenses arising from data breaches
- Workers Compensation – covers your obligations to work-related injuries under workers comp statute, as applies in your state
- Tenant Legal Liability – covers you for damage caused by tenant negligence to your property
- Coverage Enhancement Options (theses are often excluded from coverage unless added by endorsement):
- Ordinance or Law – covers your property for increased costs of construction to comply with updated building codes after a covered loss
- Equipment Breakdown – covers equipment like generators, hvac systems, phone systems, computers, machinery and boilers from mechanical breakdown, explosion or electrical arcing
- Flood – covers your property from flood damage
- Earthquake – covers your property from earth movements
- Punitive Damages – covers loss resulting from judgments which impose multiplication of the general damages as a punishment to the defendant (note: punitive damages insurability by state)
- Mental Anguish – ensures coverage for bodily injury applies to mental anguish, which in some jurisdictions has been classified as such, but in others it’s not so clear
- Wage & Hour – coverage for employment practices liability resulting from disputes over salary vs hourly workers (i.e. exempt vs non-exempt employees)
Shields Insurance Agency is an Independent Insurance Agency based out of Birmingham, AL and we are licensed to write property & casualty insurance in AL, FL, GA, MS and LA. This includes commercial lines and personal lines insurance.
Representing several top-rated insurers, we are capable of writing commercial insurance policies for an array of business types with very competitive pricing and broad coverage terms.
Insurance for Medical Offices
Why Choose Us?
Shields Insurance Agency is an Independent Insurance Agency based out of Birmingham, AL and we are licensed to write property & casualty insurance in AL, FL, GA, MS and LA.
Representing several top-rated insurers, we are capable of writing commercial insurance policies for an array of business types with very competitive pricing and broad coverage terms. Our expertise in guiding medical offices towards better insurance coverage makes us the right fit for you.
Lets Reduce Your Rates and Improve Coverage
Most people don’t understand their unique risks or their insurance and are therefore buying the wrong coverage and paying too much. If you work with our insurance agency, we will implement our simple 3-step process to identify your key exposures, improve insurance coverage and reduce rates.